Originally established 1695, the chapel was restored and enlarged in 1865 with funds given by Edward Ball, a memorial tablet for whom was placed on an inside wall of the chapel by his family. It reads:
born December 8th, 1793: died November 9th, 1865.
He was a Justice of the Peace, a deputy lieutenant
and for ten years M.P. for this county
is erected in loving remembrance by his family.
the poor ever found a true and sympathising friend.
His delight was to minister to the needy
and his aim through life
to make known the glorious gospel of Christ
which he faithfully proclaimed for 43 years.
'With Christ, which is far better'