St. Clements originally stood much closer to the sea than it does at present, but in 1286 Alan the cheesemonger and his wife, Alice, gave a rood of land to the Abbey of Fecamp, which then owned both St. Clement's and All Saints, to rebuild it. After the disastrous French raids in the 14th century rebuilding was again necessary and fortunately this last building remains in all its beauty.*
The registers of St. Clements commence in 1558.
The monumental inscriptions were luckily transcribed by Alfred
Ridley Bax in 1890 so that the information on those that were still
legible then (and many were not) is still available to us in a leaflet
published by the Hastings and Rother
Family History Society.
Only two gravestones relate to people listed in the family trees on this
sites and those are:
n0. 99 - a headstone
Sacred to the memory of Molly the wife of
Thomas Thwaites who departed this life June 14th 1813 aged 46 years. ...
Also Thomas Thwaites died Oct 25th 1844
aged 79 years. ...
no. 100 - a headstone (all capitals)
In memory of John Dungate who died June
15th 1788 aged 67 years. Also Elizabeth
his wife who died July 29th 1805 aged 78 years. Also Stephen
Thwaites who died June 28th 1854 aged 41 years.